Remuneration Range: $1,341,866 – $1,789,576 per annum
Under the general direction of the Director, Project Accounting, the Project Accountant is responsible for managing the accounts of the Ministry of Health projects, whether financed by the Government of Jamaica or multilateral lending agencies.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Participates in the development of the Operational Plan for the Division;
- Participates in the preparation of annual budgets for projects (local and foreign) being undertaken by the Ministry of Health;
- Participates in the development of the annual Work Plan for the Division;
- Prepares annual individual Work Plan;
- Complies and submits monthly reports to the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service for Capital A and B Projects.
- Prepares and submits monthly/special reports on the management of the Branch to the Principal Finance Officer.
- Ensures that standard accounting procedures consistent with the Financial Administration and Audit Act are adhered to and that the necessary records are maintained to meet the requirements of the Act;
- Participates in the preparation of project proposals for submission to lending agencies;
- Assists the Director, Projects Accounting and Director of Project Planning and Implementation to seek project funding source;
- Authorises project payment vouchers, adjusting journal and transactions based on project grant/loan agreement or approved budgets;
- Ensures that funding is available to meet project expenditure and that bills are paid on a timely basis;
- Maintains Project Accounts in an appropriate manner in order to track project costs according to activities and source of fund as required by grant/lending agencies;
- Collaborates with Project Managers in the Regions and Agencies and the Project Planning and Implementation Branch to develop and integrate project performance indicators Ministry wide;
- Prepares Financial Reports by grant/lending Agency by Region and integrate with project milestones and the Ministry’s strategic plan;
- Collaborates with the Director of Project Planning and Implementation and Project Managers, prepares and submits quarterly and yearly cash flows for Capital A and B projects for submission to the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service;
- Prepares financial statements for projects as required in the prescribed formats for presentation to the Auditor General’s Department, the Planning Institute of Jamaica, and the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service;
- Coordinates project audits and the preparation of response to audit queries;
- Assists the Director of Project Planning and Implementations and Project Managers, in the preparation of quarterly and yearly cash flows projections for each project to be submitted to the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service;
- Undertakes analysis of project expenditure against the approved budget and the warrant on a continuous basis and advice the Director, Projects Accounting and Project Managers of the negative variances;
- Compiles and submits monthly reports to the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service for Capital A and B Projects;
- Prepares financial statements for all projects operated by the Ministry of Health Head Office and provide such reports to grant/lending agencies, Project Managers, Programme Managers and Director of Project Planning and Implementation;
- Ensures the timely reimbursement claims to grant/lending agencies and the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service as applicable;
- Operates and reconciles all project bank accounts on a monthly basis i.e. Special Accounts, Project Bank Accounts and the Capital A and Capital B Project, NHF and CHASE;
- Maintains the investment portfolio of the Ministry and provides monthly reports to Director, Projects Accounting;
- Recommends investment options to the Director, Projects Accounting and implement when authorized;
- Attends meetings and conferences as directed by the Director, Projects Accounting.
Human Resource Responsibilities:
- Ensures the development and welfare needs of staff supervised are identified and addressed;
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of staff supervised and recommends corrective actions where necessary;
- Provides leadership and guidance to staff supervised through effective planning, delegation, communication, training, mentoring and coaching;
- Identifies training/development needs of staff supervised and makes recommendations as required;
- Establishes and maintains a system that fosters a culture of team work, employee empowerment and commitment to the Branch’s goals;
- Fosters an atmosphere of trust, high ethical and confidential standard;
- Ensures that staff supervised is aware of and adheres to the policies, procedures and regulations which guides the operations of the Ministry/Division/Branch;
- Recommends leave for staff supervised in keeping with established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Participates in the recruitment of staff for the Branch, recommends promotion;
- Recommends disciplinary action in keeping with the established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Organizes and conducts monthly and other ad hoc unit meetings with direct reports.
D.) Other Responsibilities:
- Other related duties, as assigned by the Principal Finance Officer.
Minimum Required Education and EXPERIENCE (at least one from the list):
- AAT Level 3;
- ACCA-CAT Level C/level 3;
- ACCA Level 1;
- NVQJ Level 4, Accounting;
- Diploma in Accounting from an accredited University or Community College;
- ASc. Degree in Business Studies/Management Studies/Business Administration from an accredited tertiary Institution;
- ASc. Degree in Accounting, MIND;
- Diploma in Government Accounting, MIND, Government Accounting levels 1, 2 &3; or
- BSc. Degree in Accounting/Management Studies with Accounting or BBA Degree from an accredited University.
Applications with résumés are to be submitted no later than Monday, November 15, 2021, to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
The Ministry of Health & Wellness thanks all applicants for their interest; however, please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.