Reporting to the Senior Accounts Payable Officer, the Accounts Payable Officer ensures that payments are processed adequately to ensure their validity, propriety, authenticity and accuracy of claim.
- Payments processed;
- Cheques prepared;
- Advances cleared
A.) Technical/Professional Responsibilities;
- Checks claims, bills, contracts and invoices submitted for payment to ensure that adequate documentation and accurate information are provided;
- Prepares appropriate payment vouchers with the financial code structures;
- Maintains relevant registers – transport allowance cards;
- Inputs data from payment vouchers into FMIS system as per financial code structure;
- Receives two (2) copies of cheque issued statement from authorised officer along with the appropriate amount of cheques to be printed;
- Ensures that all necessary steps are taken in accordance with FMIS operational procedure before and when loading the cheques in the printer;
- Checks bills, receipts, and statements submitted for clearance of advances to ensure authenticity and accuracy;
- Prepares appropriate journal vouchers for the clearance of the advances;
- Assists in research to obtain information pertaining to audit or customers queries.
- Performs duties of Relief Cashier.
B.) Other Responsibilities:
- Performs other related duties that may from time to time be assigned by the Senior Accounts Payable Officer.
- Payments are processed within a specified time period;
- Cheques are printed and ready for disbursement within stipulated time frame;
- Advances cleared in accordance with set guidelines and within stipulated time frame.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
|Purpose of Communication|
|Manager, Accounts Payable||Professional advice, receives directives, and guidance, information regarding portfolio, and provide feedback.|
|Senior Accounts Payable Officer||Receive directives and guidance, work assignments|
|Members of staff||Matters relating to payments of bills/claims|
ii) External Contact
|Contact||Purpose of Communication|
|Contractors, Suppliers of goods and services||Clarification/verification of bills|
- Good time management and organisational skills;
- Good planning skills;
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Good Computer skills;
- Keen eye for detail;
- Sound personal and professional integrity;
- Ability to cope well under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Maintains a high level of productivity and self-direction;
- Proven ability to be flexible and adapt to workplace changes.
- Knowledge of the laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to government accounting;
- Knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit Act and other Government Financial Regulations;
- Knowledge in operating GoJ Computerized Accounting System.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Accounting, Word Processing and Spread Sheet Software.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Certificate or Diploma in Accounting, Management or Business Administration from a recognised institution;
- AAT Technician Stage
- Certificate in Government Accounting Level 1 plus four (4) years related experience;
- Satisfaction of the Proficiency criteria;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH JOB
- Required to work beyond normal working hours, whenever the need arises.
- Normal office conditions;
Interested persons may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email no later than Friday, May 29, 2020 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.