Under the direction of the Director of Laboratory Services and the Head of the Department, plan organize and control the technical operations of the Surgical Pathology, Cytology and Autopsy Services of the Ministry of Health with islandwide responsibilities. In addition, the incumbent will assist in administrative oversight of the Anatomical Pathology Department.
KEY OUTPUTS (Results, Deliverables)
- Provides histology, autopsy and cytology reports of high quality and accuracy, produced in a timely manner
- Exhibits responsiveness to needs of clients
- Facilities optimum functioning of the department within limits set by budgetary constraints, space limitations and staff limitations
- Provides consultative services to internal & external stakeholders.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (Activities, Tasks)
A) Management/Administrative Responsibilities
- Assist in planning and supervising the work of residents, senior house officers and part time pathologists
- Provide guidance motivation and direction to subordinates including assisting H.O.D. in setting performance standards and monitoring performance
- Work in conjunction with other consultants and senior staff member to solve problems, determine protocols and implement procedures for the better functioning of the laboratory as a whole and for the department in particular
- In conjunction with CMT’s to arbitrate disputes among staff members and refer to the appropriate responsible officer
- Work in conjunction with consultants and other senior staff at NPHL to solve problems, determine protocols and implement procedures for the better functioning of the Laboratory
- Diagnose disease using techniques such as gross pathology, histology, cytology, fine needle aspiration, immunology and molecular biology when available
- Perform routine autopsies to determine the cause of death, compile disease statistics and other clinicopathological correlation to assist clinicians
- Communicate pathologic findings to surgeons and other physicians verbally and by writing pathology reports, summarizing analysis, results and conclusions
- Educate and train physicians, medical students, personnel in professions supplementary to medicine and personnel in medical laboratory professions ie medical technology, cytotechnology and histotechnology
- Testify in depositions or trials as an expert witness
- Oversight of training programmes and research projects
- Review of specifications for equipment, tests, methodology to be employed in the department
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Use appropriate statistical techniques and methods to ensure a high quality Health Information System (HIS).
- Organizes and participates in the production of health data/information.
- Monitor the quality and timelines of data/information produced by the Health Information System, using appropriate tools, approaches and statistical methodology.
- Analyses statistical data generated by the Health Information System using appropriate software.
- Ensure the outputs/statistical reports are accurate and timely.
- Identify required data and make contact with the data sources to enable collection.
- Ensure all work done complies with the Ministry’s quality standard and procedures meet local and international requirements.
- Assist in analyzing and evaluating ongoing/routine data collection processes and recommends improvements to existing methods.
- Prepare health data and statistics for publication and distribution to users including for posting on Ministry’s website.
- Evaluate the statistical methods and procedures used to obtain data in order to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Prepare report on results of statistical analyses, including information in the form of graphs, charts, tables and reports in accordance with user needs.
- Liaise with programme managers and other users to identify specific information needs and determine the usefulness of the information supplied to them.
- Prepare appropriate responses to requests for health data/information from the HIS within a reasonable timeframe.
- Provide support to other Divisions of the Ministry regarding the design of data collecting instruments.
- . Multidisciplinary clinical, knowledge and skills
- Written/oral communication skills
- Interpersonal skills/leadership skills
- Time management skills
- Good record keeping
- Management and supervisory skills
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work harmoniously with a diverse group of people at various levels.
- Laboratory skills needed for diagnosis and management of histology and cytology cases
- Autopsy skills
- Analytical and interpretive skills
- Familiarity with relevant computer software
- Clinical knowledge and skills applicable to speciality
- Knowledge of laboratory processes and quality assurance techniques
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Postgraduate training in Anatomical Pathology from a recognized institution
- At least 6 months postgraduate experience and peer approval
- Full registration with MCJ
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, August 10, 2018 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only