Applications are invited from suitably qualified persons to fill the following position in the Ministry of Health & Wellness (Technical Services Division).
Deputy Chief Nursing Officer (HPC/RN 7) (Not Vacant)
To contribute to the achievement of the Ministry’s objectives through the establishment of national norms, standards and procedures for Nursing/Midwifery and the provision of technical support to the Chief Nursing Officer
Key responsibility areas
Management Administrative Responsibilities
- Collaborates with the Chief Nursing Officer to develop strategies to implement the objectives of the Nursing Section
- Participates in the preparation of the operational plan and budget for the Technical Services Division
- Participates in the quarterly and annual performance review to assess the achievements of the Technical Services Division, to identify obstacles and make proposals to address these.
- Provides technical advice to the staff of the Ministry and Regional Health Authorities on matters pertaining to Nursing/Midwifery
- Deputize for the Chief Nursing Officer at local, regional and international nursing/health conferences. Prepares and presents position papers under the guidance of the Chief Nursing Officer
- Prepares and submits performance and other reports within the agreed timeframes
Technical Professional Responsibilities
- Participates in the development of a National Plan for Nursing/Midwifery, as a component of the National Health Services Plan.
- Develops national norms, standards and procedures for Nursing/Midwifery, which are consistent with current treads in nursing and health care, in collaboration with Senior Nursing personnel. Obtains approval of Chief Nursing Officer
- Monitors Nursing/Midwifery practice nationally through liaison with the Regional Nursing Officers and reports to the Chief Nursing Officer
- Designs and conducts research projects on the impact of Nursing/Midwifery on service delivery within the health sector and makes recommendations to effect improvements in quality of care.
- Collaborates with the Chief Nursing Officer and Nursing Associations in developing/ reviewing the philosophy, objectives and goals for Nursing/Midwifery in the national health sector
- Participates with non-government organizations and other stakeholders in developing programmes to impact positively on the health status of the nation.
Human Resource Responsibilities
- Develops and maintains a Five Year Manpower Plan for Nursing to include projections of the appropriate skill, mix and numbers required to adequately staff the service.
- Liaises with the University of Technology, the University of the West Indies and other training institutions to ensure that training programmes are consistent with current trends in Nursing and health care
- Participates in the recruitment of Senior Nursing /Midwifery staff within the Public Health Sector.
- Keeps abreast of research in technical areas and promotes the utilization of findings to improve health care
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Chief Nursing Officer
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Masters Degree in Nursing/Nursing related and accredited courses in Health Service Management or equivalent qualifications.
- Registered Nurse/ Registered Midwife (current licenses with the Nursing Council)
- Eight (8) years experience within the public sector at the supervisory management level
Applications with résumés are to be submitted no later than Monday, May 17, 2021 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
The Ministry of Health thanks all applicants for their interest; however, please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.