The Director has the responsibility to facilitate the administration of legislation, policies and guidelines in order to achieve the objectives of the ministry as regards to pharmaceuticals and other designated products.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS
Management and Administration
- Plans, organizes, directs, control and coordinates the work and activities of the P&RA Department.
- Develops, establish and maintain systems for the department
- Develops and maintains a system for monitoring and registering all healthcare institutions in both the public and private sectors.
- Collaborates with the Regional Directorate in the design and implementation of post-basic training programmes for Pharmacist and Pharmacy Technicians.
- Establishes and maintains an up-to-date database system and management information system for recording details of individuals, entities and institutions concerned.
- Establishes and maintains registry of health care institutions including children’s and Nursing Homes in private sector.
- Liaises with statutory agencies, which take regulatory decisions relating to health care.
- Interacts with other agencies such as the Children’s Services Division and Public Health Departments, which have immediate responsibility for the operation of such institutions.
- Monitors and inspects Health Care Institutions for purposes of registration.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Director, Standards and Regulation.
- Interacts and collaborates with other members of management team.
- Develops and maintains a system for registration of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, cosmetics, foods and herbal products.
- Develops guidelines and carries out inspections as required, under the relevant Acts.
- Develops and implements a system for auditing the use of drugs, precursor chemicals and psychotropic substances.
- Establishes and maintains a system for controlling and monitoring the importation of foods, drugs, herbal product, cosmetics, chemicals and related devices.
- Reviews applications and grant permits for the manufacture and importation of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, herbal products, precursor substances and related devices for local consumption.
- Assists in coordinating the accessing of life saving drugs from overseas or local sources in times of National Emergency.
- Designs and coordinates a system of post-marketing surveillance pharmaceuticals, chemicals, etc., to verify safety, efficacy and quality.
- Develops criteria for the registration and re-registration of health care institutions involved with drugs, pharmaceutical supplies, chemicals, cosmetics etc.
- Participates in relevant international seminars and conferences.
- Performs any other related duties as assigned by the Director, Standards and Regulations
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- MSc. In Health Related Science/Public Administration/Management Studies
- Bachelor’s degree in Pharmacy
- Eight (8) years experience in the public sector health care system, of which four (4) years should be in Regulatory Affairs
- Registration with the Pharmacy Council of Jamaica
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, May 24, 2019 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.