Reporting to the Senior Management Accountant, the Management Accountant assists in the preparation and collation of the Ministry’s budget in accordance with.
the approved Corporate Plan and the guidelines prescribed by the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFP).
The incumbent also monitors the implementation of the budget.
- Draft Estimates of Expenditure prepared;
- Expenditure controlled within budgetary provision;
- Cash Flows forecast collated;
- Supplementary Provision prepared;
- Monthly/Quarterly review of expenditure prepared;
- Journal Vouchers prepared;
- Ministry’s performance monitored;
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS
A.) Management/Administrative Responsibilities
- Provides guidance where necessary to divisions/agencies in the preparation of the budget and the proper usage of the budget template;
- Provides guidance to project/programme/managers in preparation of cash flow requests to ensure that it accurately reflects level and timing of cash needs;
- Attends Parliament for the presentation of the annual budget and supplementary estimates;
- Assists with the preparation of budget briefs for the Ministry’s appearance before the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament.
- Prepares monthly management reports on activities undertaken.
B.) Technical/Professional Responsibilities;
- Circulates Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFP) Budget Call to all stakeholders Regional Directors, Chief Executive Officer UHWI and Programme Managers in Central Administration),
- Prepares draft operational budgets for the Ministry of Health;
- Analyses budget requests from Department, Agencies in respect to programmes, ensuring they are supported by approved implementation plans, where applicable;
- Submits the draft budget estimates to the Senior Management Accountant;
- Allocates Warrant received from Ministry of Finance and the Public Service to Regional Health Authorities and other Activities on a monthly basis;
- Checks allocation against budget to ensure that allocation does not exceed budget
- Reviews on an on-going basis all bank accounts to ensure that there are no large idle cash balances;
- Undertakes monthly variance analysis of expenditure against budget and against prior year, analyzing causes for variance;
- Evaluates in conjunction with the Planning and Evaluation Unit, the physical and financial performance in the implementation of the programmes in the budget;
- Collects, checks and collates all Statutory Payments for submission to the MOFP by the stipulated date of each month for all stakeholders.
- Good time management and organisational skills;
- Good planning and monitoring skills;
- Sound analytical and judgment skills;
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good Computer skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Maintains a high level of productivity and self-direction.
- Sound knowledge of the laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to public sector budget preparation and administration;
- Sound knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit Act and other Government Financial Regulations;
- Knowledge of Management Accounting, Financial Accounting and Cost Accounting;
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements and reports;
- Understanding of computerised accounting systems including government’s Automated Financial Accounting System.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Management Studies with an Accounting major from a recognised institution;
- Association of Chartered Certified Accounts (ACCA) Level 2;
- Plus successful completion of the relevant government accounting and computing courses and at least three (3) years experience at the professional level;
- Certificate in Government Accounting, and seven (7) years experience
- Satisfaction of the Proficiency criteria.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Tuesday, March 12, 2019 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.