Reporting to the Senior Management Accountant, the Management Accountant assists in the preparation and collation of the Ministry’s budget in accordance with the approved Corporate Plan and the guidelines prescribed by the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFP).
The incumbent also monitors the implementation of the budget.
- Draft Estimates of Expenditure prepared;
- Expenditure controlled within budgetary provision;
- Cash Flows forecast collated;
- Supplementary Provision prepared;
- Monthly/Quarterly review of expenditure prepared;
- Journal Vouchers prepared;
- Ministry’s performance monitored;
- Provides guidance where necessary to divisions/agencies in the preparation of the budget and the proper usage of the budget template;
- Provides guidance to project/programme/managers in preparation of cash flow requests to ensure that it accurately reflects level and timing of cash needs;
- Attends budget meetings with portfolio ministry, MOFP and other officials;
- Attends Parliament for the presentation of the annual budget and supplementary estimates;
- Assists with the preparation of budget briefs for the Ministry’s appearance before the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament.
- Prepares monthly management reports on activities undertaken.
- Circulates Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFP) Budget Call to all stakeholders Regional Directors, Chief Executive Officer UHWI and Programme Managers in Central Administration),
- Prepares draft operational budgets for the Ministry of Health;
- Analyses budget requests from Department, Agencies in respect to programmes, ensuring they are supported by approved implementation plans, where applicable;
- Submits the draft budget estimates to the Senior Management Accountant;
- Allocates Warrant received from Ministry of Finance and the Public Service to Regional Health Authorities and other Activities on a monthly basis;
- Checks allocation against budget to ensure that allocation does not exceed budget
- Assists in the allocation of monthly warrants;
- Inputs Warrant and other data into the Financial Management System as required;
- Reviews on an on-going basis all bank accounts to ensure that there are no large idle cash balances;
- Undertakes monthly variance analysis of expenditure against budget and against prior year, analyzing causes for variance;
- Evaluates in conjunction with the Planning and Evaluation Unit, the physical and financial performance in the implementation of the programmes in the budget;
- Links subsequent allocation with performance and where necessary make recommendation for virement;
- Prepares and posts Journal Vouchers on FinMan in relation to: vote-on account, approved votes, supplementary estimates and warrant allocation;
- Collects, checks and collates all Statutory Payments for submission to the MOFP by the stipulated date of each month for all stakeholders.
C.) Other Responsibilities:
Performs other related duties that may from time to time be assigned by the Senior Management Accountant.
- Draft Estimates of Expenditure prepared in line with the Ministry’s Corporate Plan and guidelines prescribed by the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service;
- Expenditure controlled within budgetary provision has been applied so as to achieve high standards of performance and value for money;
- Accuracy and timeliness are maintained in collating the cash flow forecasts;
- Supplementary Provision prepared in keeping with established guidelines;
- Monthly/Quarterly review of expenditure prepared are accurate and sound;
- Journal Vouchers prepared are accurate and posted in an appropriate and timely manner;
- Ministry’s performance monitored to ensure that expenditure is within the Voted Provision and has been applied so as to achieve the desired outcomes and value for money;
- Good coordination and effective working relations exist with other Divisions/Units and external associates;
- Confidentially, integrity and professionalism are displayed in the execution of duties and personal conduct.
- Good time management and organisational skills;
- Good planning and monitoring skills;
- Sound analytical and judgment skills;
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills;
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good Computer skills;
- Keen eye for detail;
- Sound personal and professional integrity;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Maintains a high level of productivity and self-direction.
- Sound knowledge of the laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to public sector budget preparation and administration;
- Sound knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit Act and other Government Financial Regulations;
- Knowledge of Management Accounting, Financial Accounting and Cost Accounting;
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements and reports;
- Understanding of computerised accounting systems including government’s Automated Financial Accounting System.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Management Studies with an Accounting major from a recognised institution;
- Association of Chartered Certified Accounts (ACCA) Level 2;
- Plus successful completion of the relevant government accounting and computing courses and at least three (3) years experience at the professional level;
- Certificate in Government Accounting, and seven (7) years experience
- Satisfaction of the Proficiency criteria.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH JOB
- Required to work beyond normal working hours, whenever the need arises.
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Thursday, February 27, 2020 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.