Reporting to the Director, Financial Accounts, the Manager, Disbursement ensure the accurate and timely processing of transactions, is responsible for the payments and distribution of cheques and the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Payments disbursed;
- Monthly financial statements prepared;
- Summary of Expenditure Cheques issued to Accountant General submitted;
- Summary of Journal transactions prepared.
- Human Resource needs identified and addressed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS
A.) Management/Administrative Responsibilities
- Participates in the preparation of the Units Operational and Work Plans;
- Prepares and submits reports as requested;
B.) Technical/Professional Responsibilities;
- Consults/collaborates with the Principal Finance Officer and the Director Financial Accounts in establishing a priority basis for determining vouchers to be paid;
- Streamlines the payment operations by developing an appropriate schedule for the payment of specified types of payments;
- Selects vouchers to be paid, based on priority policy and given the level of funds available;
- Ensures that vouchers to be paid are batched and distributed to certifying officers for certification;
- Ensures that the accounts are updated with the vouchers to be paid and that cheques are correctly printed;
- Ensures that cheques printed are properly secured, signed and delivered promptly;
- Prepares journal summary.
- Reconciles journal summary to trial balance and produce accurate financial statements.
- Authorizes payments;
- Verifies expenditure Cheques Issued Summaries and submit to the Accountant General Department;
- Authorizes electronic transfers;
- Signs cheques issued on Ministry’s bank accounts;
C.) Human Resource Responsibilities
- Manages the welfare and development of staff supervised through the Performance Appraisal System;
- Provides effective leadership to staff supervised through objective setting, delegating and communicating;
- Identifies training/development needs of staff supervised and makes recommendations as required;
- Provides guidance to staff supervised through coaching, mentoring and training, providing assistance and support as needed;
- Foster teamwork, a harmonious working environment and promotes collaborative working across the Unit;
- Ensures that staff supervised is aware of and adheres to the policies, procedures and regulations which guides the operations of the Ministry, Division and the Branch;
- Ensures that staff supervised is provided with adequate and appropriate physical resources to undertake duties efficiently and effectively;
- Recommend leave for staff supervised in keeping with established Human Resource policies;
- Recommends disciplinary action in keeping with the established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Conducts ad hoc meetings with staff supervised.
- Good time management and organisational skills;
- Good planning and monitoring skills;
- Sound analytical and judgment skills;
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Good team building and interpersonal skills;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Good skills in teamwork and cooperation;
- Sound personal and professional integrity;
- Ability to cope well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Maintains a high level of productivity and self-direction.
- Sound knowledge of the laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to government accounting;
- Sound knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit Act and other Government Financial Regulations;
- Knowledge in operating GoJ Computerized Accounting System.
- Competence in the use of spreadsheets and various computerized accounting systems. including computer applications
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration from a recognised institution;
- Plus, successful completion of the relevant government accounting and computing courses and at least three (3) year experience;
- Satisfaction of the Proficiency criteria;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Tuesday, March 12, 2019 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only