Reporting to the Director, Financial Accounts, the Manager, Disbursement ensure the accurate and timely processing of transactions, is responsible for the payments and distribution of cheques and the preparation of monthly financial statements.
- Payments disbursed;
- Monthly financial statements prepared;
- Summary of Expenditure Cheques issued to Accountant General submitted;
- Summary of Journal transactions prepared.
- Human Resource needs identified and addressed.
A.) Management/Administrative Responsibilities
- Participates in the preparation of the Units Operational and Work Plans;
- Prepares and submits reports as requested;
B.) Technical/Professional Responsibilities;
- Consults/collaborates with the Principal Finance Officer and the Director Financial Accounts in establishing a priority basis for determining vouchers to be paid;
- Streamlines the payment operations by developing an appropriate schedule for the payment of specified types of payments;
- Selects vouchers to be paid, based on priority policy and given the level of funds available;
- Ensures that vouchers to be paid are batched and distributed to certifying officers for certification;
- Ensures that the accounts are updated with the vouchers to be paid and that cheques are correctly printed;
- Ensures that cheques printed are properly secured, signed and delivered promptly;
- Prepares journal summary.
- Reconciles journal summary to trial balance and produce accurate financial statements.
- Authorizes payments;
- Verifies expenditure Cheques Issued Summaries and submit to the Accountant General Department;
- Authorizes electronic transfers;
- Signs cheques issued on Ministry’s bank accounts;
C.) Human Resource Responsibilities
- Manages the welfare and development of staff supervised through the Performance Appraisal System;
- Provides effective leadership to staff supervised through objective setting, delegating and communicating;
- Identifies training/development needs of staff supervised and makes recommendations as required;
- Provides guidance to staff supervised through coaching, mentoring and training, providing assistance and support as needed;
- Foster teamwork, a harmonious working environment and promotes collaborative working across the Unit;
- Ensures that staff supervised is aware of and adheres to the policies, procedures and regulations which guides the operations of the Ministry, Division and the Branch;
- Ensures that staff supervised is provided with adequate and appropriate physical resources to undertake duties efficiently and effectively;
- Recommend leave for staff supervised in keeping with established Human Resource policies;
- Recommends disciplinary action in keeping with the established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Conducts ad hoc meetings with staff supervised.
D.) Other Responsibilities:
- Performs other related duties that may from time to time be assigned by the Director, Financial Accounts.
- Sound knowledge of current auditing principles, procedures and practices.
- Sound knowledge of current auditing principles, standards and techniques.
- Working knowledge of the laws, regulations and other instructions governing both the financial and operational aspects of the organization.
- Knowledge of ethical standards and guidelines governing the accounting and auditing profession.
- Confidentiality and integrity is exercised.
PERFORMANCE STANDARDS (How Success Will Be Measured)
- Payments disbursed promptly and accurately and in accordance with the FAA ACT, its Regulations and Instructions.
- Monthly financial statements prepared for signature within set time frame;
- Summary of Expenditure Cheques issued submitted within set guidelines;
- Summary of Journal transactions prepared and reconcile with changes in Trial Balance within seven (7) days of month end;
- Human Resource needs identified and addressed in a timely manner.
- Good coordination and effective working relations exist with other Divisions/Units and external associates;
- Confidentially, integrity and professionalism are displayed in the execution of duties and personal conduct.
INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL CONTACTS
|Purpose of Communication|
|Principal Finance Officer||Professional advice, receives directives, and guidance, information regarding portfolio, and provide feedback.|
|Director, Financial Accounts||Professional advice, receives directives, and guidance, work assignments, information regarding portfolio, and provide feedback.|
|Management Accounts Unit||Matters relating to availability of funds|
|Programme/Project Managers||Matters relating to payments other than salary & travel|
ii) External Contact
|Contact||Purpose of Communication|
|Ministry of Finance and the Public Service||Matters relating to Central Treasury Management System (CTMS);|
|Accountant General’s Department||Matters relating to Central Treasury Management System (CTMS)|
|Clients and Vendors||Matters relating to payments/delivery of cheques|
- Good time management and organisational skills;
- Good planning and monitoring skills;
- Sound analytical and judgment skills;
- Good presentation, oral and written communication skills;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Good team building and interpersonal skills;
- Good problem solving skills;
- Good skills in teamwork and cooperation;
- Keen eye for detail;
- Sound personal and professional integrity;
- Ability to cope well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Maintains a high level of productivity and self-direction.
- Sound knowledge of the laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to government accounting;
- Sound knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit Act and other Government Financial Regulations;
- Knowledge in operating GoJ Computerized Accounting System.
- Competence in the use of spreadsheets and various computerized accounting systems. including computer applications
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration from a recognised institution.
- Plus successful completion of the relevant government accounting and computing courses and at least three (3) years experience;
- Satisfaction of the Proficiency criteria;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH JOB
- Required to work beyond normal working hours, whenever the need arises.
- Select vouchers to be paid;
- Authorize payments;
- Authorizes electronic transfers
- Normal office conditions;
Interested persons may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email no later than Monday, August 3, 2020 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.