The St. James Public Health Services is working with all the relevant agencies to closely monitor the fire at the Retirement Dump. Persons are asked to avoid exposure to the smoke by do the following:
- Minimize all outdoor activities
- Persons who suffer from asthma and other respiratory illnesses are advised to cover mouth and nose with a clean damp rag to protect themselves from inhalation of smoke and dust particles.
- Keep children indoors as much as possible; keep windows and doors closed to prevent exposure to smoke and dust and look out for any difficulty in breathing or any discomfort that your child may experience.
- Persons with illnesses such as heart or lung condition and other chronic diseases should continue to take medications as prescribed.
- Anyone who is experiencing difficulty breathing, wheezing or tightness in the chest should seek urgent medical assistance.
Medical assistance can be received at the
- Montego Bay Type V Health Centre: Monday – Thursday 7am – 10pm, Friday 7am – 9pm, Saturday & Sunday 10am – 6pm
- Catherine Hall Health Centre: Monday – Thursday 8:30am – 5pm
- Accident & Emergency Department, Cornwall Regional Hospital: 24hrs
For additional information contact the St. James Public Health Services at 979-7820-4