To provide engineering support for all capital projects being undertaken by the Ministry of Health and Regional Health Authorities.
- Engineering Drawings
- Engineer’s Estimates for capital projects
- Project Status Reports
- Engineering component of Project Profiles
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
Management and Administrative
- Participates as a member of the multi-disciplinary team involved in evaluating project ideas and developing and documenting project profiles for submission to finding agencies.
- Advises the Permanent Secretary, Regional Health Authorities and the Director, Project Planning and Implementation on all technical matters relating to engineering
- Attends meeting, workshop etc. on behalf of the Ministry
- Participates in the preparation of Pre-qualification and Tender documents for civil works and equipment supply for capital projects being undertaken by the Ministry of Health and Regional Health Authorities.
- Prepares civil engineering drawings for capital projects as assigned by the Director, Civil Works. Prepares engineer’s estimate, as required.
- Reviews all engineering plans, drawings and submissions from external agencies to ensure that they meet specifications.
- Liaises with Quantity Surveyors (if required) to ensure preparation of Bill of Quantities and preliminary costs for the Ministry’s capital projects.
- Monitors Contractors, Architects and Quantity Surveyors and makes site visits to ensure that work is performed in according to specifications and project agreement. Carries out on the spot inspections in collaboration with Director, Civil Works and Project Architect.
- Monitors Implementation Plan to ensure that civil works is carried out within agreed time frame to avoid cost over-runs. Prepares status reports as required and submits to the Director, Civil Works
- Carries out critical path analyses, identifies problems or bottlenecks and advise the Director, Civil Works of problems identified and formulate solutions to deal with them.
- Monitors all contracts as they relate to liquidated damages, bonus payments and all other relevant clauses including welfare of workers and the statutory deductions.
- Recommends payment vouchers submitted by contractors for work done, in accordance with contract
- Advises the Director, Civil Works on recommendations submitted by Engineers and Contractors.
- Liaises with Planning Institute of Jamaica and Project Analysis and Monitoring Company (PAMCO) and submit, reports, as required.
- Performs other engineering functions necessary to execute various capital projects within the Ministry of Health & Wellness.
- All designs meet required specifications are consistent with Town Planning Code, the National Building Code and other relevant codes
- Observation and adherence to professional standards
- Project Variation orders are property documented and supported with additional drawings, where necessary
- Key deliverables are produced within agreed timeframe and budget
- Advice given is technically sound
|Expertise in the application of Civil Engineering principles and practices||4|
|Ability to perform complex engineering calculations using prescribed procedures and formulae|| 5
|Ability to prepare engineering documents, specifications and cost estimates for projects||5|
|Ability to conduct field inspections, surveys and measurements for civil engineering projects||5
|Sound knowledge of Jamaican Building and Electrical Code||4|
|Expertise in the application of project management techniques and tools.||4|
|In-depth Knowledge pf Government tendering requirements and procedures.||4|
|Skill in the use of personal computers and relevant software applications||4|
|Strong inter- personal and communication skills.||4|
|Ability to write reports containing technical information||5|
|Time Management skills.||4|
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- BSc. In Civil Engineering
- Training in Project Management – plus
- Six (6) years progressive working experience in construction management.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH THE JOB
Required to visit construction sites
- To certify payment to contractors within approved limits and in accordance with project agreements
- To conduct site visits and recommend modifications to civil works, as required
- To recommend variations to contracts for engineering services.
Interested persons may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume via email no later than Tuesday, August 4, 2020 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.