The Public Relations Officer shall have responsibility for providing professional public relations services for the Ministry of Health and Wellness.
- Articles researched and prepared
- Media monitored
- Press briefings, interviews and conferences organized
- Press releases and features published
- Special events and exhibits coordinated
- Promotional materials prepared
- MOHW news file maintained
- Press kits prepared
Key responsibility areas
- Participates in the planning and implementation of the Ministry’s public relations/communications programmes.
- Undertakes research to gather facts for and prepare articles, feature and other public materials and programme.
- Monitors all print and electronic media for health related matters, note areas where responses are indicated and bring to the attention of the Manager, Public Relations and Communications and programme managers.
- Organizes press briefings and conferences as well as interviews with the press.
- Prepares press kits for distribution to the local and visiting journalists, where necessary.
- Arranges for the dissemination of press releases and features, as necessary.
- Liaises with the media to ensure that all email and other correspondences are received.
- Maintains an up-to-date file on health related matters which appear in the print media and prepare a circulation copy for perusal by the Minister of Health & Wellness, the Permanent Secretary and the Chief Medical Officer.
- Assists the Public Relations and Communications Manager in the preparation of the annual operating budget for the Public Relations and Communication.
- Plans and conducts special events and exhibitions, as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of events and developments within the health sector and gives professional advice to the Ministry of Health & Wellness, and Regional Health Authorities.
- Secures and dispatches official documents and information on the Ministry requested by local and overseas individuals and institutions, as required.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with the Jamaica Information Service in respect of the Ministry’s media coverage.
- Maintains a filing system for the Public Relations and Communications Unit in correlation with the Manager, Public Relations & Communications.
- Establishes and maintains communication channels with the health organizations; NGO’s and staff associations/unions.
- Collaborates with the Manager in planning and implementing the Ministry of Health and Wellness’s Public Relation and Communications programmes.
- Reviews media coverage of health related news items and bring these to the attention of the Public Relations and Communication Manager and programme head.
- Prepares articles and other promotional materials on the Ministry and Regional Health Authorities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Manager, Public Relations and Communications.
Minimum Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Journalism or Equivalent; and
- A minimum of two (2) years working experience in the Public Relations/Communications or the Media; or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
Kindly visit the Ministry of Health & Wellness’ website (www.moh.gov.jm) for the detailed Job Description.
Applications with résumés are to be submitted no later than Tuesday, February 16, 2021 to:
Human Resource Management & DevelopmentMinistry of Health & Wellness
The Ministry of Health & Wellness thanks all applicants for their interest; however, please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.