- Provide advice to the Government and the PCA’s Board on all matters related to the management of pesticides including international trends, national priorities, policies and inter-agency collaboration.
- Accountable for the appropriate licenses for all pest control companies and certification of all Pest Control Applicators and Servicemen that work for these companies.
- Develop an optimum Inspector field visiting strategy that ensures the most effective and efficient structure of the entity to perform its task.
- Achievement of key operational objectives (public awareness campaign, product registration within specified timeline, budget management, talent development etc.) to accomplish PCA’s strategy.
- Track and report KPI’s performance, to be shared with PCA’s Board monthly.
- Ensure the respective stakeholders, including Pesticide importers and local manufactures, Farm Stores Owners/Workers, Pest Control Operators, Applicators and Servicemen, are aware/aligned to policy/procedure and performing according to PCA’s guidelines and complying with agreed contractual/obligatory terms.
- Support, update and provide feedback to the Board to help enrich planning and to help provide sound information that can improve management, decision making and compliance.
- Perform advisory functions to the Chairman of the Board and the Government when required, including dealing with public enquiries and complaints.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Provide advice to the Government on all matters related to the management of pesticides including international trends, national priorities, policies and inter-agency collaboration.
- Represents Jamaica at international meetings on pesticides.
- Prepare Annual Reports including Audited Financial Statements for presentation by the Minister of Health to Parliament.
- Develop linkages with other agencies to carry out pesticide regulatory functions.
- Act as Secretary to the Board of the Authority and maintain records and undertake the necessary follow-ups to decisions taken.
- Carry out the drafting and ensure the smooth progress of regulations under the Pesticide Act (1975).
- Perform advisory functions to the Chairman of the Board and the Government when required including dealing with public enquiries and complaints.
- Liaise with the media and service organizations to promote the Authority and its functions and to do interviews, presentations, speeches and press conferences as required from time to time.
- Prepare corporate plan, annual work plan and budget.
- Supervise Inspectors activities in the PCA’s Kingston and Western offices.
- Any other duties necessary to carry out the functions of the Authority as stipulated under the Pesticides Act (1975).
- Strong leadership, management and team building skills
- Knowledge of pesticides control policies, legal and technical regulatory framework-local, regional and international
- Knowledge and experience in handling various computer software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet etc.)
- Good interpersonal relationship skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Master Degree in Science based discipline
- Five (5) years work experience in private or public sector management at a senior level
- Qualification and experience in Agriculture would be an advantage
Resumes should be submitted no later than FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2019
Further information on the position may be obtained from the Ministry’s website:
All applications should be addressed to:
Human Resource Management & Administration
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
We thank all applicants for expressing interest, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted.