Reporting to the Director Management Accounts, the Senior Management Accountant assists in the preparation and collation of the Ministry’s budget in accordance with the approved Corporate Plan and the guidelines prescribed by the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service (MOFP).
The incumbent also monitors the implementation of the budget.
- Draft Estimates of Expenditure prepared;
- Expenditure controlled within budgetary provision;
- Cash Flows reviewed;
- Supplementary Provision prepared;
- Monthly/Quarterly review of expenditure prepared;
- Ministry’s performance monitored;
- Advice and assistance provided;
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS
A.) Management/Administrative Responsibilities
- Participates in the development and preparation of the Strategic, Operational Plans for the Division;
- Provides guidance where necessary to divisions/agencies in the preparation of the budget and the proper usage of the budget template;
- Provides advice/guidance to project/programme/managers in preparation of cash flow requests to ensure that it accurately reflects level and timing of cash needs;
- Assists with the preparation of budget briefs for the Honourable Minister, Permanent Secretary, Principal Financial Officer (PFO) and the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service as requested for the Ministry’s appearance before the Standing Finance Committee of Parliament.
- Prepares monthly management reports on activities undertaken.
B.) Technical/Professional Responsibilities;
- Prepares master draft of the annual and supplementary budgets for the Ministry of Health;
- Analyses budget requests from Divisions, Agencies in respect toprogrammes, ensuring they are supported by approved implementation plans, where applicable;
- Submits the consolidated draft budget estimates to the Director, Management Accounts;
- Makes adjustments to the budget after review by the Ministry of Finance and the Public Service and Senior Managers of the MOH;
- Ensures the timely distribution of Estimates of Expenditure to Regional Directors, Chief Executive Officer UHWI and all other Programme Managers within the Ministry of Health;
- Reviews annual and monthly cash flows and compare with approved Estimate of Expenditure and operational plan before submission to the MOFP;
- Liaises with Budget Analyst in the MOFP on matters concerning the approved Budget, Warrant Releases and Cash Flows;
- Participates in monthly meetings with Cash Management staff at the MOFP, Principal Finance Officer and Director, Management Accounts of the Ministry of Health to discuss warrant releases against actual requirements;
- Coordinates Quarterly Budget and Performance Review meetings with Permanent Secretary and Senior Managers to examine expenditure against performance with a view to preventing budget overrun;
- Evaluates in conjunction with the Planning and Evaluation Unit, the physical and financial performance in the implementation of programmes schedule in the budget;
- Prepares monthly Outstanding Bills Report and submits to MOFP;
- Collaborates with MOFP’s Budget Analyst, investigates and recommends the level of assistance to be given to beneficiaries for Special Medical Treatment abroad. Where applicable provides information for Cabinet Submissions.
Human Resource Responsibilities
- Manages the welfare and development of staff supervised through the Performance Appraisal System;
- Provides effective leadership to staff supervised through objective setting, delegating and communicating;
- Provides guidance to staff supervised through coaching, mentoring and training, providing assistance and support as needed;
- Foster teamwork, a harmonious working environment and promotes collaborative working across the Branch;
- Promotes the building of institutional knowledge for the Branch by ensuring that established systems and procedures are documented and disseminated;
- Recommend vacation leave and approves departmental and sick leave for staff supervised in keeping with established Human Resource policies;
- Recommends disciplinary action in keeping with the established Human Resource policies and procedures;
- Excellent time management and organisational skills;
- Excellent planning and monitoring skills;
- Sound analytical and judgment skills;
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Sound knowledge of the laws, regulations, principles and practices relating to public sector financial accounts and general ledger.
- Sound knowledge of the Financial Administration and Audit Act and other Government Financial Regulations;
- Expert in budget preparation, financial forecasting and sensitivity analysis;;
- Knowledge of Management Accounting, Financial Accounting and Cost Accounting;
- Sound understanding of computerised accounting systems including government’s Automated Financial Accounting System.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Management Studies with an Accounting major from a recognised institution;
- Association of Chartered Certified Accounts (ACCA) Level 2;
- Plus, successful completion of the relevant government accounting and computing courses and at least three (4) years experience at the professional level;
- Certificate in Government Accounting, other relevant Financial Management courses and eight (8) years experience;
- Satisfaction of the Proficiency criteria;
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Interested persons may apply in writing, accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Tuesday, March 12, 2019 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.