Under the direction of the Medical Epidemiologist, Communicable Disease the Officer will review notifications, classify cases and take necessary action to follow-up with the field. The Officer assists the Medical Epidemiologist to ensure the ongoing collection, analysis, reporting and dissemination of information.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Review and classification of notifiable disease.
- Reports on notifiable disease
- Assist the Medical Epidemiologist, Communicable Disease to:
- Formulates national policies and plans for surveillance.
- Plan, direct, oversee, and manage epidemiologic studies and urgent outbreak investigations.
- Design and management of surveillance systems for diseases of public health importance.
- Design of instruments for the collection of surveillance information and data.
- Development and conduct of epidemiologic studies for program planning.
- Conduct and develop methods for descriptive and comprehensive analyses of surveillance data for multiple purposes.
- Establishes and maintains contact with national and international agencies in the development and implementation of programmes related to of chronic disease, injuries, health care associated infections, perinatal, event-based and mortality surveillance.
- Review and monitor implementation of surveillance programmes and provides periodic reports, as required.
- Maintains a database on communicable diseases programmes in Jamaica
- Advises on staffing norms and standards for the delivery of surveillance programmes according to levels of care
- Represents the Ministry at regional and international conferences and seminars.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Medical Epidemiologist.
MINIMUM REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A qualified Medical Doctor plus
- Master degree in Public Health or Epidemiology or equivalent plus
- Five (5) years of experience post internship
Kindly visit the Ministry of Health & Wellness’ website (www.moh.gov.jm) for additional details on the job.