Under the general direction of the Health Information Analyst, is responsible for providing an information and statistical advisory service to the Ministry for use in developing, implementing and monitoring the performance of the public health sector. Ensure that the data/information produced by the Ministry of Health’s Health Information System (HIS) is valid, accurate and timely. Collects, analyzes and interprets quantitative health data, produces statistical analysis plans and reports, in addition to the data analysis and production of tables, figures and listings.
- Quarterly and Annual Health Statistics Produced.
- Quarterly Hospital, Health Centre and Other Health Statistical Reports Produced.
- Health Statistics Databases Maintained.
- Requested Data and Statistical Information Prepared.
- Analytical Reports.
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS
- Use appropriate statistical techniques and methods to ensure a high quality Health Information System (HIS).
- Organizes and participates in the production of health data/information.
- Monitor the quality and timelines of data/information produced by the Health Information System, using appropriate tools, approaches and statistical methodology.
- Analyses statistical data generated by the Health Information System using appropriate software.
- Ensure the outputs/statistical reports are accurate and timely.
- Identify required data and make contact with the data sources to enable collection.
- Ensure all work done complies with the Ministry’s quality standard and procedures meet local and international requirements.
- Assist in analyzing and evaluating ongoing/routine data collection processes and recommends improvements to existing methods.
- Assist in design, implementation, and evaluation of new approaches to data collection.
- Assist in identifying redundant data collection activities and in prioritizing data collection activities.
- Prepare health data and statistics for publication and distribution to users including for posting on Ministry’s website.
- Evaluate the statistical methods and procedures used to obtain data in order to ensure validity, applicability, efficiency, and accuracy.
- Prepare report on results of statistical analyses, including information in the form of graphs, charts, tables and reports in accordance with user needs.
- Liaise with programme managers and other users to identify specific information needs and determine the usefulness of the information supplied to them.
- Prepare appropriate responses to requests for health data/information from the HIS within a reasonable timeframe.
- Provide support to other Divisions of the Ministry regarding the design of data collecting instruments.
- Contribute to specific Sections and Chapters of the Ministry of Health’s Annual Report and other reports.
- Provide statistical data/information for Ministry of Health’s contributions to the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ) and STATIN publications such as the Economic and Social Survey of Jamaica (ESSJ) and Demographic Statistics.
- Represent the Ministry in relevant national fora related to statistics, such as the Survey of Living Conditions (SLC);
- Undertake other reasonable and related tasks as identified by the Health Information Analyst; Director, Planning and Evaluation and Director Policy, Planning and Development, as necessary for the fulfilment of strategic objectives.
- Represent the Ministry at meeting, seminars, workshops and conferences related to statistic function.
- Key outputs are produced within agreed timeframes to required standards;
- Statistical tables/reports are comprehensive and completed within scheduled timeframe;
- Ongoing monitoring of the quality data within the HIS databases;
- Data analyzed and narrative reports prepared within agreed timeframes to required standards;
- Work-plans are prepared within established formats and timeframe, and support the mandate of the Branch;
- A proactive approach is utilized in the pursuit all activities.
- Liaison with:
- Internal – Minister; Permanent Secretary; Director, Policy, Planning and Development; Director, Planning and Evaluation; Corporate Planner, Research Officers and Divisional/Department Heads.
- External – Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ); Statistical Institute of Jamaica (STATIN); Chief Executive Officers and Senior Representatives of External Agencies of the Ministry of Health.
|Knowledge of health care data and demographics.|
|Proficient in SPSS, MS Access, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint|
|Strong background in statistics|
|Experience in Survey design, survey sampling techniques, questionnaire design, data quality control, data analysis, and writing/publishing reports|
|Ability to conduct ad hoc queries of databases using database management software|
|Experience in conducting surveys|
|Ability to work on own initiative|
|Good analytical and statistical skills|
|Experience with data manipulation and interpretation of large data sets required|
|Good oral communications|
|Good written communications|
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
- An undergraduate degree from an accredited university with acceptable specialization in Statistics, Mathematics, Social Research, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience in research design, analysis, and statistics course work.
- Two years experience in statistical work, preferable in the health care field, including one year of applied statistics (including sampling methodologies) and multivariate analysis is strongly preferred. He/she should have experience in questionnaire design, training interviewers and writing manuals.
Interested persons may apply in writing accompanied by resumes. Applications must be submitted no later than Friday, July 19, 2019 to:
Human Resource Management & Development
Ministry of Health & Wellness
10A Chelsea Avenue
Please note that responses will be sent to short- listed applicants only.