Timely access to quality and affordable Health Services is critical for achieving Universal Access to Health and the health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is also an important benchmark for a sustainable and robust health system
As the premier health care provider in Jamaica, the Ministry of Health and Wellness has embarked on a project designed to improve access to some critical services provided at public health facilities. This initiative builds on previous efforts to reduce wait time for services and it is envisioned that this will result in shorter wait time for admissions as well as shorter hospital stays. The initiative is also set to reaffirm Government’s commitment to the abolition of user fees in public health facilities.
The Enhancing Health Services Delivery Project will focus on three key areas negatively impacting the health sector’s ability to respond timely to the health care needs of the population. The areas of focus are: (i) diagnostic radiology services (ii) elective surgeries and (iii) removal of social cases from hospitals.
In recognition of its resource constraints and inability to meet the growing demand for diagnostic services, the Ministry will outsource the following imaging services in the short term: CT scan, MRI, Ultrasound, Angiography, Endoscopy and Hispathology. Patients will be referred to an approved list of private imaging service providers and all costs for outsourced services will be borne by the Government of Jamaica. In addition, through formal arrangements with private health facilities, the Ministry will under the project seek to increase the number of elective surgeries performed by making use of underutilized private operating theatres. This intervention is expected to reduce the long waiting list for these procedures and contribute to the overall improved health status of many Jamaicans.
Also under the project, the Ministry will enter into formal arrangements with select nursing homes and infirmaries for the transfer of patients who have overstayed their time in public hospitals as a result of having no known family or residence. These public-private ventures are in alignment with the Ten Year Strategic Plan of the Health Sector and Vision 2030 National Development Plan.
2.0 OBJECTIVE of Consultancy
The overall objective of the consultancy is to provide technical services to the Ministry of Health and Wellness for the design, implementation and monitoring of Component 1 – Outsourcing of Diagnostic and Radiology Services, under the Enhancing Health Services Delivery Project. Responsibilities will include working closely with the Technical Programme Advisor, Project Manager, Regional Health Authorities, private service providers and other stakeholders for the delivery of diagnostic services and the development of plan for the phased upgrading of diagnostic services in the public health care system.
The specific objectives of the consultancy are as follows:
- To provide support for the establishment and monitoring of formal arrangements with approved service providers for the outsourcing of diagnostic imaging services
- To provide support for the formulation of a detailed plan for the upgrade of diagnostic services in the public health sector using a phased approach that takes into consideration provisions for radiology under other national projects
- To provide support for the implementation of a phased diagnostic services upgrade plan, facilitating the establishment of arrangements for the continued rollout of activities post project
- To provide support for the revision and development of standard operating protocols/procedures, in collaboration with RHAs and other stakeholders, to support the successful implementation of project and the reintegration of services at the end of the project period.
- To provide detailed monthly reports that accurately monitor project activities and budget; analyse issues and forecast trends in service delivery and use
3.0 SCOPE of services
The specific services of the Component Coordinator shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Develop a Workplan outlining timelines and activities required to execute the assignment.
- Monitor Contracts and Memorandum of Understandings with private service providers and other partners
- Conduct audits and or inspections of private facilities participating in the project
- Organize and participate in consultations with key administrative, technical and managerial health professionals critical to project implementation
- Review and validate payment requests from private providers for submission to procurement
- Participate in the transparent tender bidding or request for proposal processes for the selection of private partners and ensure the preparation of relevant reports
- Participate in the transparent and competitive selection of service providers
- Support the preparation of a detailed plan for the phased upgrade of diagnostic services in the public health sector. This includes the identification of priority listing of equipment needs through consultations with RHAs and other stakeholders
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with relevant partner agencies in the public and private sectors, documenting for MOHW’s attention concerns/issues with services contracts /arrangements
- Coordinate/supervise the day to day activities relating to the component in collaboration with Hospital Administration, Regional Health Authorities and other stakeholders
- Assist in the revision and formulation of standard operating procedures/protocols, in collaboration with RHAs and other stakeholders, to support the successful implementation of the component and the reintegration of services at the end of the project period
- Organize and participate in sensitization sessions per region for key administrative, technical and managerial health professionals critical to project implementation
- Track and report on the progress of implementation as per the work plan, identifying potential risks and making recommendations
- Establish and maintain database of persons receiving diagnostic services under component
- Conduct satisfaction surveys among patients to assess service delivery
- Ensure component activities are properly closed out and documentation completed and stored
The consultancy should be executed in a spirit of cooperation and inclusiveness. The Component Coordinator is expected to work in tandem with MOHW Technical Team and the Office of the Permanent Secretary throughout all stages of the Project. The individual is also expected to:
- Liaise with the Technical Programme Advisor and Project Manager on all matters
- Work closely with RHAs, private service providers and other stakeholders
|1||Detailed work plan|
|2||Monitoring reports on Service contracts for outsourcing of diagnostic services|
|3||Detailed plan for the upgrade of diagnostic services in the public health sector|
|4||Revised protocols/procedures for the delivery of diagnostic imaging services|
|5||Reports on Sensitization sessions (one per region) for select administrative, technical and managerial personnel|
|6||Monthly project reports, reports on satisfaction surveys|
- This consultancy is a full time position with standard hours of work
- The Component Coordinator will be required to occupy a designated office space at MOHW and make regular field visits as dictated by Project activities
- Participation in management and other meetings will be required for which prior notice will be given
- All information obtained during the delivery of this Consultancy is the property of the Ministry of Health and Wellness and requests to use same must be made in writing to the Permanent Secretary
7.0 LENGTH OF CONSULTANCY
The duration of the contract is twenty-four (24) months
8.0 QUALIFICATIONS OF CONSULTANT
The consultant should satisfy the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Medical Imaging or other related discipline
- Knowledge of the latest radiology and imaging technology within the field
- At least 3 years’ experience working in a Management/Coordination position
- Strong sense of and respect for confidentiality involving both clients and fellow employees.
- Familiarity with/Knowledge of the use of radiology and imaging equipment
- Detail-oriented with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Creative problem solver with ability to work independently.
- Strong planning skills and ability to multi-task well.
The Component Coordinator will report directly to the Project Manager who will be responsible for the review and official approval of the project deliverables.
10.0 EVALUATION CRITERIA
|Evaluation will be calculated as follows; Cost Score Weighting =|
|Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of :|
|Evaluation Criteria||Max. Score||Actual Score|
|Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing of Health Related Discipline||40|
|3 years’ Administrative Experience in Management or Coordination Position||30|
|Experience working in project related environment||20|
|Written Communication Skills||10|
Candidate must attain a minimum mark of 70 to be considered