1.0 Project Background
The Cornwall Regional Hospital (CRH), built in 1974, is located two miles from the centre of Montego Bay, on a hill in Mt. Salem. It is a 10 storey, 400-bed capacity multi-disciplinary institution. The Cornwall Regional Hospital is a Type ‘A’ hospital providing specialist services, and is the only hospital outside of Kingston providing most of the specialist services.
There have also been reports of indoor air quality (IAQ) concerns from the 1st – 4th floor since 2009 affecting the first floor – Radiotherapy; second floor – Western Regional Health Authority (WRHA), Laboratory and Accounting Department; third floor – Radiology; and the fourth floor — offices of the Senior Medical Officer.
2.0 JOB PURPOSE
Responsible for monitoring and enforcing safety, health and environmental requirements. The Officer ensures that incidents are reported, investigated and the necessary recommendations are implemented
3.0 MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY OFFICER
- Carry out Environmental Health & Safety Supervision and Implementation of all phases of the project.
- Ensure job safety analysis is done for each activity before commencement of work
- Evaluate personal protective equipment (PPE) and ensures proper use and maintenance of PPE.
- Support the project with environmental health & safety expertise.
- Ensure all incidents are reported, investigated and timely implementation of recommendations
- Conduct accident/incident investigations to identify root causes and generate recommendations to reduce, mitigate, or eliminate hazards. Ensures follow-up is done to minimize future exposure and proper records/documents are maintained.
Being accountable to the Project Manager, the Safety and Environmental Officer shall provide daily, weekly and monthly progress reports.
- Monthly progress report on the activities proposed under the Environmental and Health & Safety Plan for the selected sites, including the analysis of the efficiency of mitigation measures applied to minimize adverse impacts.
- The report should include the following sections: frequency of site visits, progress in implementation of EHSP, problems, faults, general findings, and recommendations for further work.
- Main focus should be made on compliance with environmental safeguards on project sites.
- Periodical reports on instruction in labor safety measurements delivered to the technical staff of the Project.
5.0 KEY TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Ensuring all the safety precautions are carried out properly, and for implementing the environmental/health-related activities as outlined in the Scope of Works (SOW) of the project. Other duties as follows:
- Develop environmental health and safety management documents through:
- Arrangement and conducting of environmental assessment, monitoring of compliance with site-specific Environmental Health & Safety Management Plans (EHSMPs);
- Review of the work plans provided by a Contractor (as for EHS requirements) and identification of bottlenecks not included in the proposed mitigation measures and
EHS activities and/or budget;
- Verify that sub-contractors have relevant valid licenses and environmental and health & safety certification compliant with the national environmental requirements (in particular, regarding construction materials, equipment, etc.).
- Supervision and monitoring of activities to ensure safety, environmental and health compliance;
- Carrying out screening of potential social impacts; findings of the screening will determine the need for development of further mitigation measures for each objective included in the project;
- Review and give acceptance of including relevant chapters on environmental health
and safety protection in the detailed design, technical specifications, and Bills of Quantities;
6.0 OTHER DUTIES
- Prepare guidelines and recommendations for monitoring and reporting on safeguards during project implementation.
- Prepare training materials related to environmental, health and safety safeguards (assessment, management, and implementation tools) and deliver training to select Staff from relevant agencies, contractors, and design institutes.
- Develop and deliver instructions on safety measures for MoHW staff visiting sites included in the project;
- Conduct and facilitate extensive safety inspections and risk analysis to ensure compliance with applicable occupational safety and environmental regulatory requirements (RCRA, CAA, CWA, DOT, OSHA, FMCSA, HAZCOM, Lock Out/Tag Out, NFPA, EPA, etc.) for trending and training needs.
- Take necessary steps to ensure a safe environment for all stakeholders, health facility employees, patients, site workers, and visitors.
- Inspect all construction/facilities engineering worksites and issues safety permits including ALSM, Hot Work, Crane, and Confined Space.
- Maintain documentation and ensures permit completion and closure.
- Assist with administering and maintaining EH&S compliance programs such as LOTO, Hot Work, Crane Safety, Confined Space, Alternate Life Safety Measures, etc.
- Assist with the development and implementation of proactive safety training programs.
- Promote incident prevention for the benefit of employees, patients, and visitors.
- Participate in the collection, analysis, and reporting of EH&S metrics and key performance indicators.
- Promotes accident/incident prevention for the benefit of employees and visitors.
7.0 QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, or Environmental Health & Safety or equivalent qualification
- At least five (5) years of similar and/or relevant experiences
- Similar projects shall refer to contracts with the scope of works related to the
- Risk Management Certificate will be an asset
- Must be OSHA, CPR & First Aid Training and Certified
- Strong IT skills
- Ability to work on own initiative on large project
- Ability to work in, and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work cooperatively with others to complete tasks and implement process improvements
- Knowledge of gathering, analyzing, and reporting on key EH&S data/statistics
- Knowledge of Microsoft package
Applications must include the resume of the applicant and must be submitted on or before Monday, March 29, 2021 at 2:00 p.m. Kindly send your application via email to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org