The Jamaica Moves programme is a comprehensive health promotion campaign that embraces the Ottawa Charter for Health Promotion and utilizes all its tenets to create a vibrant sustainable behaviour change model to tackle the risk factors for Non Communicable diseases.
The programme corrals a variety of activities that makes conditions favourable for behaviour change through advocacy for health and providing access to information to enable all people to reach their fullest health potential by taking control of those things that determine their health, while, bearing in mind the responsibility of the Ministry of Health to mediate between differing interests in society for the pursuit of health.
The programme cuts across all sectors of society, targeted at the individual, interpersonal, organizational, community and national levels.
Jamaica Moves started at a national level, aiming at changing behaviour in the general public towards increasing the level of physical activity. Since implementation, the initial concept has been expanded to target three main areas: Physical inactivity, healthy nutrition and promotion of routine health checks for the general population.
The Jamaica Moves Programme employs a settings approach will seek to tackle NCD prevention (primary and secondary) in 3 environments (i.e., where people are born, live, grow, work and age):
Given the increased demand that has come with the growing popularity of Jamaica Moves, the need has risen for additional staff that will primarily focus on administrative duties related to the Jamaica Moves Programme
- CHARACTERISTICS OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Nature of the Assignment: The assignment is on purely contractual basis. This contract will be for two (2) years in the first instance and may be considered for extension based on satisfactory performance.
Level of effort: Full time level of effort, Mondays through Fridays. Some weekends or evening hours may be necessary. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, fling, cabinets and fax machines.
Duration of Contract: Twenty- Four (24) months.
Location: Kingston Jamaica. Travel may be required to other government entities within and outside of Kingston Metropolitan Area.
Type of Consultancy: Individual
Type of Contract: Payments made in equal monthly instalments based in the delivery of monthly reports and on the submission of an invoice.
Financing Arrangements: Consultancy payments will be made through the Ministry.
- OVERALL PURPOSE OF CONSULTANCY
Under the guidance of the Director, Health Promotion & Education, the Jamaica Moves Coordinator will work closely with the marketing firm contracted for Jamaica Moves to facilitate successful execution of the programme.
- OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
- To monitor and support the Social Marketing Campaign of the Jamaica Moves Programme.
4.2 To be the liaison between the consultancy firm executing the Social Marketing Campaign and the Ministry of Health and Wellness focal point for the component of Jamaica Moves.
4.3 To provide progress reports on the execution of deliverables of the Jamaica Moves Programme
- SCOPE OF WORK
- Liaise with the marketing firm for Jamaica Moves Programme to ensure timely and effective execution of their deliverables.
- Log, respond and take appropriate action to internal and external requests for the Jamaica Moves Programme in a timely manner.
- Provide logistic support (eg. scheduling, venue, invitation, agenda, etc.) to Jamaica Moves Committee Meetings, Jamaica Moves Stakeholder Meetings and any other related meeting.
- Record and circulate minutes of all meetings held to the relevant stakeholders.
- Monitor and provide feedback on print, electronic and social media postings on activities relating to the Jamaica Moves Programme.
- Document activities for Jamaica Moves in their respective areas of focus.
- Maintain open and effective communication channels with all key stakeholders in the Jamaica Moves Programmes.
- Present monthly, periodic and special reports on the progress, challenges and solutions of the deliverables for Jamaica Moves Programme to the Jamaica Moves Committee.
- Monitor and assess the Jamaica Moves Programme using the appropriate monitoring and evaluation tools and approaches.
- Prepare and submit an end of year report.
- Facilitate monthly financial expenditure reporting.
- KEY DELIVERABLES
- Implementation of a two-year work plan.
- Documentation of all internal and external requests specific to Jamaica moves.
- Actions taken in response to internal and external requests
- Completion and circulation of all minutes and action sheets for Jamaica Moves related activities to relevant stakeholder.
- Provision of logistic support and coordination for specified Jamaica Moves events during three months.
- Sustained mechanism to facilitate communication with key stakeholders.
- Timely completion and submission of monthly and special reports.
- Timely submission of expenditure reports
- QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Health, Education, Communication or a Social/Behavioural science and 10 years’ experience relevant to the responsibilities described above
- Master’s degree in Health, Education, Communication or a Social/Behavioural science with 5 years relevant experience
- Project Management Certification
- A valid Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN) -The consultant will be responsible for their own tax returns.
- Knowledge of both theoretical and practical aspects of project management.
- Proven experience with change management, risk mitigation and strategic planning.
- Full orientation and understanding of preparing reports to donors and clients and coordinating the compliance to grant requirements.
- Familiarity with Jamaica’s public health system would be considered an asset.
- Key Competencies
- Effective planning, problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal, team building and team leadership skills and excellent networking abilities
- Sound decision-making and time management skills
- Results oriented and able to meet strict timelines for outputs
- Excellent communications abilities including solid command of both oral and written English and mastery of public speaking
- Be able and willing to travel and work island wide
- Work well under pressure and accustomed to working outside of regular working hours
- Good working knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel), Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Project.
Must possess a valid driver’s license and own a reliable motor vehicle.
- KEY RELATIONSHIPS
8.2 Internal Relationships:
- Director, Health Promotion and Protection
- Health Promotion and Education Unit
- Nutrition Unit
- NCD & Injuries Prevention Unit
- Monitoring and Evaluation – Ministry of Health
- Regional Health Authorities- Ministry of Health
8.3 External Relationships:
- Consultant for Jamaica Moves
- Ministry of Education Youth & Information
- Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs)
- Faith-Based Organisations (FBOs)
- Other key stakeholders/organisations
- CONTRACT PERIOD
- Duration : Two (2) years
- Type of Assignment: Ministry of Health and Wellness Contract
- Place of Work: Ministry of Health and Wellness 10-16 Grenada Way, Kingston 5.
- SUPERVISION/REPORTING STRUCTURE
9.1 The Jamaica Moves Coordinator will report to the Director, Health Promotion & Education, MOH
9.2 The Jamaica Moves Coordinator will submit to the Director, Health Promotion and Education, MOH for approval:
- Quarterly Work Plan
- Monthly Reports including Expenditure Statements
- Any other reports deemed necessary
The Project Coordinator will be compensated as follows:
|Monthly remuneration in keeping with deliverables and Established work plan–(not exceeding 24 months)||$138,858.00 per month|
|Travelling Costs/Allocation (not exceeding 24 months)||$74,577.00 per month|
|Total||$213,435.00 per month|
|Reimbursable Expenses –||Mileage @J$56 per km (for out of town commute exceeding 24 km) – must be pre-approved|
- Government of Jamaica