The Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW), Government of Jamaica, is the pre-eminent Government organization whose mandate is “To ensure the provision of quality health services and to promote healthy lifestyles and environmental practices”. Over the past years, the MOHW has sought to prioritise the strengthening and modernising of Information Systems. Under special grant funding by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), key activities include the expansion and strengthening of the National Laboratory Services by implementation of Senaite Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) software application in collaboration with CARPHA.
National Laboratory Services
The National Public Health Laboratory (NPHL) is the largest health laboratory in the English-speaking Caribbean offering both public health and clinical laboratory services. It serves as the National Reference and referral laboratory for clinical and community health. The NPHL provides laboratory services for clinical and public health interventions, as well as support to the Regional Health Authorities (RHAs), particularly the South East Regional Health Authority (SERHA), within which it falls geographically. It provides particular clinical laboratory support to the Kingston Public Hospital and Victoria Jubilee Hospital and other health institutions within the SERHA and the rest of the national public health system, as required.
The LIMS Implementation Officer will provide training and support for end users of the Senaite LIMS at selected public sector health facilities in Jamaica.
Scope of Work
- Develop and implement training plan.
- Coordinate training with relevant stakeholders at targeted implementation sites.
- Provide the training and support of all end users at Senaite LIMS implementation sites.
- Administer the software related resources of the solutions implemented.
- Organize training in the use of Senaite LIMS, online tools and other related applications.
- Maintain an inventory of all end user support resources and upload to various online portals created for this purpose.
- Receive and create software related issues/tickets from end users and the Programme Team and manages or assigns them accordingly.
- Troubleshoot problems that arise in Health Facilities implementing Senaite LIMS and other related solutions.
- In collaboration with the LIMS Project Manager, ensures the design and transfer of reports from Senaite LIMS to stakeholders.
- Provide technical support to end users at health facilities selected to use Senaite LIMS.
- Provide technical guidance to the Programme Team and end users regarding use of the training resources for solutions implemented.
- Participate in all team meetings related to the Programme activities.
- Prepare and submits monthly implementation and support reports.
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Minimum Required Education And Experience
- BSc degree in computer science, information technology, medical technology or a related field, or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in the health sector is an asset
- Experience with laboratory information systems is an asset.
- Training in or knowledge of core principles of Health Informatics is an asset
- Knowledge of health information systems planning, design and implementation is an asset
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience
- The ability to prioritise and work with minimal supervision
- Ability to analyse, diagnose and resolve operation and system issues
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Office Products
- Ability to provide guidance to end users, to troubleshoot hardware and software problems
- Ability to test software applications and document results
- Excellent time management
- Problem solving and decision making
- Oral communication skills
- Written communication
- Technical skills
- Planning and organizing
- Teamwork and cooperation
Special Conditions Associated With The Job
- Typical working environment, no adverse working conditions
- Required to travel across the island to various implementation sites.
- May be required to work on weekends and beyond 5 PM on weekdays.
- Reporting to the Information Systems for Health Lead for the MOHW
|Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of :|
|Evaluation Criteria*||Max. Score||Actual Score|
|BSc degree in computer science, information technology, medical technology or a related field, or equivalent experience.||40|
|Experience working in the health sector||30|
|Experience in health information systems planning, design or implementation||30|
Candidate must attain a minimum mark of 70 to be considered
*Key: 1 year of experience = 10 points; persons with 3 years or more experience should get the maximum score