Timely access to quality and affordable Health Services is critical for achieving Universal Access to Health and the health-related Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). It is also an important benchmark for a sustainable and robust health system
As the premier health care provider in Jamaica, the Ministry of Health and Wellness has embarked on a project designed to improve access to some critical services provided at public health facilities. This initiative builds on previous efforts to reduce wait time for services and it is envisioned that this will result in shorter wait time for admissions as well as shorter hospital stays. The initiative is also set to reaffirm Government’s commitment to the abolition of user fees in public health facilities.
The Enhancing Health Care Delivery Project will focus on three key areas negatively impacting the health sector’s ability to respond timely to the health care needs of the population. The areas of focus are: (i) diagnostic radiology services (ii) elective surgeries and (iii) removal of social cases from hospitals.
In recognition of its resource constraints and inability to meet the growing demand for diagnostic services, the Ministry will outsource the following imaging services in the short term: CT scan, MRI, Ultrasound, Angiography, Endoscopy and Hispathology. Patients will be referred to an approved list of private imaging service providers and all costs for outsourced services will be borne by the Government of Jamaica. In addition, through formal arrangements with private health facilities, the Ministry will under the project seek to increase the number of elective surgeries performed by making use of underutilized private operating theatres. This intervention is expected to reduce the long waiting list for these procedures and contribute to the overall improved health status of many Jamaicans.
Also under the project, the Ministry will enter into formal arrangements with select nursing homes and infirmaries for the transfer of patients who have overstayed their time in public hospitals as a result of having no known family or residence. These public-private ventures are in alignment with the Ten Year Strategic Plan of the Health Sector and Vision 2030 National Development Plan.
2.0 OBJECTIVE of Consultancy
The overall objective of the consultancy is to provide administrative support necessary for the effective organization and coordination of the Enhancing Health Services Delivery Project being implemented by the Ministry of Health and Wellness. Responsibilities will include working closely with the Technical Programme Advisor, Project Manager, Regional Health Authorities, Hospital Administration and Social Work Departments, Ministry of Local Government, private service providers and other stakeholders.
The specific objectives of the consultancy are as follows:
- To provide support to the Project Execution Unit in the establishment of formal arrangements with approved private service providers for:
- The outsourcing of diagnostic imaging services
- The transfer of social cases to long term care institutions
- The outsourcing of elective surgeries
- Collating monthly reports received from Component Coordinators, Regional Officers and other stakeholders where applicable.
- Assisting the Technical Programme Advisor, the Project Manager with the organisation of training, verification of visitation schedules and other implementation logistics under the project components.
- Assist with the maintenance of an up-to-date database of beneficiaries accessing services under the project by component
- Compiling and disseminating information to internal and external personnel, as required by the Technical Programme Advisor or Project Manager in support of the Enhancing Health Services Delivery Project.
- Identifying administrative problems and situations that may affect the efficient flow of information, especially between the Project Unit and the Regional Staff or other stakeholders.
- Assisting in convening meetings, liaising with stakeholders (with whom partnerships have been established) to ensure services are provided as per agreement.
- Assisting in the preparation and coordination of public education materials and correspondence.
- To provide detailed monthly reports that accurately monitor project activities
3.0 SCOPE of services
The specific services of the Project Officer shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Provide administrative support to the Project Execution Unit for the day to day implementation of the Enhancing Health Services Delivery Project.
- Organize and participate in consultations with key administrative, technical and managerial health professionals critical to project implementation
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with relevant partner agencies in the public and private sectors, documenting for MOHW’s attention concerns/issues with services contracts /arrangements
- Facilitate the processing of payments to contracted service providers through liaison with the Office of the Permanent Secretary and the Ministry’s Procurement Unit
- Organize and participate in sensitization sessions per region for key administrative, technical and managerial health professionals critical to project implementation
- Data entry and maintenance of electronic database of beneficiaries accessing services under each component of the project.
- Assist with the dissemination of public education materials and activities relating to the project.
- Assist with facilitating stakeholder consultations with respective agencies responsible for the implementation of the Project.
- Support the Project Unit by attending stakeholder meetings as directed by the Technical Programme Advisor and Project Manager.
- Draft correspondence for internal and external stakeholders
- Assist in the development of presentations to highlight the progress of the project
- Assist in the maintenance of appropriate filing system for the capture, storage and maintenance of Project information for ease of access by Project Unit, the Ministry of Health and Wellness and other stakeholders.
- Ensure projects are properly closed out and project documentation completed and stored
The consultancy should be executed in a spirit of cooperation and inclusiveness. The Project Administrator is expected to work in tandem with MOH&W Technical Team and the Office of the Permanent Secretary throughout all stages of the Project. The individual is also expected to
- Liaise with the Technical Programme Advisor and Project Manager on all matters
- Work closely with RHAs, Private Service Providers and other stakeholders
|1.||Monthly reports detailing activities – payments processed, meetings attended|
|2.||Database of beneficiaries receiving services under Project components|
- This consultancy is a full time position with standard hours of work
- The Project Officer will be required to occupy a designated office space at MOHW and attend meetings as dictated by Project activities
- Participation in management and other meetings will be required for which prior notice will be given
- All information obtained during the delivery of this Consultancy is the property of the Ministry of Health and Wellness and requests to use same must be made in writing to the Permanent Secretary
7.0 LENGTH OF CONSULTANCY
The duration of the contract is (18) months
8.0 QUALIFICATIONS OF CONSULTANT
The consultant should satisfy the following requirements:
- Bachelors Degree in Administrative Management or related discipline from an accredited University or equivalent qualification.
- At least 3 years administrative experience
- Strong sense of and respect for confidentiality involving both clients and fellow employees.
- Experience working in a project related environment would be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient in the use of relevant computer applications
- Detail-oriented with excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong planning skills and ability to multi-task well.
The Project Administrator will report directly to the Project Manager who will be responsible for the review and official approval of the project deliverables.