The Cornwall Regional Hospital (CRH), built in 1974, is located two miles from the centre of Montego Bay, on a hill in Mt. Salem. It is a 10 storey, 400-bed capacity multi-disciplinary institution. The Cornwall Regional Hospital is a Type ‘A’ hospital providing specialist services, and is the only hospital outside of Kingston providing most of the specialist services.
There have also been reports of indoor air quality (IAQ) concerns from the 1st – 4th floor since 2009 affecting the first floor – Radiotherapy; second floor – Western Regional Health Authority (WRHA), Laboratory and Accounting Department; third floor – Radiology; and the fourth floor — offices of the Senior Medical Officer.
2.0 JOB PURPOSE
Responsible for preparation the of in-house cost estimates for materials, time and labor costs. This officer will also prepare, negotiate and analyze costs for tenders and contracts.
3.0 MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE QUANTITY SURVEYOR (QS)
To provide Quantity Surveying expertise in the drafting of the construction contracts; manage the administration of contracts, appraise/approve contract payments, ensuring compliance with established Government of Jamaica standards, guidelines and regulations, responsible for producing estimates, cost plans, assist in the preparation of contract documents and participate in the tender evaluation process, to perform functions in relation to planning, implementation to the close out of the projects.
3.0 DETAILED SCOPE OF WORK AND DELIVERABLES
- Prepare Bills of Quantities from drawings and scope of works to meet stake-holders needs for the different phases.
- Carry out arithmetic checks and prepare bid reports / assessment in accordance with procurement guidelines
- Visit project site to obtain measurements for the following: –
- Site assessment in preparation of Bill of Quantities
- Prepare Status report at various stages of the project implementation to ensure accurate quantities are recorded and by extension paid for
- Measure and price variation work as they arise
- To verify claims submitted from Contractor(s) and/or Suppliers.
- Monitoring and maintaining construction budgets on on-going projects including, preparing cost reports and assessment as requested by Project Manager
- Prepare monthly progress report on each phases of the project
- Recommend interim and final payments for contractors, sub-contractors and consultants by assessing claims against actual work done
- Prepare variation orders as requested by Project Manager in accordance with GOJ guidelines
- Attend site meetings
- Allocate works to sub-contractors in accordance with conditions of contracts
- Provide Contract Administration and Supervision on a required and detailed by the client to include:
- Cost Monitoring of the Project
- Evaluation of Monthly Claims and Preparing Payment recommendations as required
- Construction Supervision, Monitoring & Reporting as required
- Supervising Commissioning and Testing for Practical Completion
- Preparing Final Payment Recommendation and Documents for contract Closeout as required.
- Maintain accurate cost records, prepare valuation
- Prepare Practical Completion Certificate
- Any other duty as assigned by the Project Manager
The Quantity Surveyor Consultant will report to the Ministry of Health and Wellness (MoH&W) Project Manager. At the commencement of each project the Quantity Surveyor will prepare a draft implementation plan with timelines for production of the key deliverables. In addition reports detailing progress against agreed objectives and project timelines will be submitted with project activity and expenditure.
5.0 KEY TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Gives assistance in the preparation of Technical Reports for project phases
- Prepares preliminary estimates for all building and applicable civil engineering works
- Reviews the preliminary development budget to ascertain costing of proposed developments and submit project proposals
- Develops, monitors and maintains cost records for labour and materials for overall contract costs for the designs
- Produces all estimating data for buildings, works and others structures
- Manage close out process
- Participates in site visits, monitors and assesses implemented projects to ensure conformance with the design and cost estimates
- Measures, evaluates and prepares interim and final payment certificates for project
- Ensures approved cost planning techniques are understood and implemented
- Reviews and recommends claims for payments on contracts
- Reviews and assesses all submissions such as Technical Reports and Practical Completion Certificates for all projects
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as may be determined from time to time
6.0 QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Quantity Surveying
- Must have minimum of Five (5) years relevant experience working on construction projects.
- Understand the GOJ Procurement Procedures
- Project Management Training.
- Have a good understanding of GOJ procedures relating to contract administration and procurement.
- Must be technically competent.
- Must have good spoken and written communication skills
- Must be Registered with Jamaica Institute of Quantity Surveyors (JIQS)
- Sound knowledge of Management Principles and Practices
- In-depth knowledge of Government’s tendering requirement and procedures
- Ability to plan, organize and coordinate the work of others
7.0 EXPERIENCE AND COMPETENCIES
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel), Microsoft Project, Estimating and quantity take-off, Autodesk AutoCAD version 2010 and newer
- Knowledge of public safety and security issues and regulations
- Strong understanding and expression of written and verbal English
- Driver’s license in good standing,
- Own a reliable motor vehicle
- Knowledge in construction methods, practices, schedules, logistics and budgets
- Expert knowledge of civil, architectural, structural, mechanical and electrical works
- In-depth Knowledge of the Master Builders JIIC Agreement and labor rates
- Knowledge of Contract Administration process and the established form of contract
Applications must include the resume of the applicant and must be submitted on or before Monday, March 29, 2021 at 2:00 p.m. Kindly send your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com