It is important to drink plenty of water before, during and after any form of physical activity. Water is necessary for hydration, that is, to maintain the fluid level in the body. You should drink water on a regular basis to maintain a healthy body.
Benefits of Water during Exercise
- Helps to maintain adequate fluid in the body
- Keeps the body cool
- Prevents muscle fatigue
- Aids in quicker recovery after workout
How to ensure that your body has enough water
- Drink water before you feel thirsty
- Drink cool water as it helps to lower body temperature
- Do not skip water stations if you are running a race
- Carry a bottle of water and drink it
- Weigh yourself before and immediately after exercise and replace each pound lost with 2 cups of water
How to tell if you are dehydrated
Dehydration means your body does not have as much water and fluids as it should.
Signs of dehydration are:
- Increased thirst
- Dry lips, mouth and skin
- Difficulty breathing, dizziness, weakness
- Increased body temperature
- Increased breathing and pulse rate
- Dark coloured urine / infrequent urination
- Mental confusion
- Restlessness / Lethargy
- Wheezy breathing
Do you need sports drink for exercise?
Unless you are exercising for more than one hour, water is the best choice for rehydration. For activity periods lasting over one hour, sports drink is helpful for replacing energy, fluids and some salt lost from the body during workout.