TRANSFORMATION IMPLEMENTATION UNIT (TIU)
- The Ministry of Health & Wellness (MOH&W) is responsible for developing and implementing national strategies for improving health, delivering effective quality health services, setting standards and regulations as well as, carrying out essential public health functions. Currently, the sustainability of service delivery of health services under immense pressures Jamaica is experiencing both a demographic and epidemiological transaction with the double burden of communicable diseases and non-communicable diseases (NCDs).Furthermore, the current management of the health system is faced with multiple issues such as quality, distribution and coordination of care, maintenance of infrastructure and equipment, fragmentation in the delivery of services as well as issues of governance highlighted by the management of emerging health issues and overall service delivery.
- Currently, Jamaica has been grappling with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic since March 2020 and the current management of the COVID pandemic has further highlighted the need for the MOHW to transform its operations to ensure sustainable service delivery of health services to meet the on-going needs of the population.
- The MOHW recognizes the need to realign its organizational structure and machinery to improve the efficiency of its operational management and internal processes, and to strengthen its policy-making and implementation capacity. The MOHW therefore must be transformed to better facilitate the delivery of patient-centric and high quality public health service that serves the needs of national development. As such, the ministry is desirous of implementing the Public Sector Performance Management System to support a changing value of accountability, transparency and productivity within the Ministry of Health & Wellness
- The Transformation Programme has four (4) components organized around three (3) pillars- People, Processes and Performance that seek to:
- Shift the MOHW from crisis and operational management to strategic management
- Engender organizational and culture change
- Increase leadership and management capabilities across all functions of the MOHW
- Create an effective organizational structure and institute performance based management appraisal system (PMAS)
- Move the MOHW towards a results based budgeting and performance framework
- Re-organize the Ministry in line with the Value Chain Approach to enable the effecting of core responsibilities that can lead to strategic success;
- Build capacity within the MOHW to enable the transformation to a High Performing Organization; and,
- Develop, implement and sustain supporting change and culture management programmes and initiatives to support renewal across the
2.0 OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY:
- To design and implement a workplan for the implementation of PMAS in the Ministry by April 2022
- To provide technical advice, leadership and support to Divisions on preparations required at the organizational, divisional and individual levels for the implementation of the performance management system for the MOHW
- To review /develop MOHW staff performance policy
- Finalized MOHW staff performance policy document
- Implementation Schedule
- Workplans at the Unit & Individual level
- Change Management strategies developed and utilized
- Job description reviews
4.0 SCOPE OF WORK:
4.1 Reporting directly to the Programme Director of the Transformation Implementation Unit the Programme Technical Advisor/PMAS will have responsibility for the implementation of PMAS in MOHW by:
- Reviewing and updating the current performance policy
- Preparing an implementation workplan for actions up to implementation April 2022
- Recommending change management initiatives to support the required transformation
- Conducting sensitization sessions with Divisions and Units
- Facilitating skill building sessions with the preparation of workplans and conducting appraisal interviews
- Networking with the relevant Government institutions to support implementation eg. Cabinet office
- Conducting business process reviews and assisting with the development of job descriptions.
- Planning, coordinating, monitoring, and reporting on activities aimed at improving the human resource management function of the MOHW.
- Liaising and coordinating activities with the stakeholders and represent the interests of the
The Consultant is expected to provide clear, concise and comprehensive reports that specifically outline activities undertaken. The key deliverables under this project are as specified in the table below.
|1||Inception Report and Work plan||The Work plan is the operational document for the consultancy and will be used to determine the required inputs for the development and delivery of the output of the consultancy and the consultant – Time line for the achievement of tasks associated with the consultant deliverables||Within 14 days of contract signing|
|2||Six (6) monthly progress reports||Monthly Progress Reports summarizing: – the progress made during the period (i.e. planned vs. actual targets, etc.) – the proposed activities for the ensuing week – risks, challenges, gaps, and recommendations for addressing them||Due the 30th of each month.|
|3||Final Consultancy Report||Submit a final Consultancy Report highlighting the nature of the work undertaken noting the level of success and constraints in terms of methodologies used the nature and quality of stakeholder participations and any lessons learnt during the process||Based on approved work plan|
Hard and soft copies of all reports including plans, spreadsheets, and any material that form part of the Consultancy shall be submitted by the Consultant.
6.0 CHARACTERISTICS OF THE CONSULTANCY
Duration of contract: The consultancy is for the period 6 months commencing from the date of the Contract.
Type of Consultancy: Individual
Type of contract: Lump sum.
7.0 SUPERVISION AND REPORTING RESPONSIBILITIES
The Consultant will report directly to the Programme Director TIU and work in close collaboration with the senior directorate of the relevant branches and divisions of the Ministry of Health and Wellness.
The MOHW will provide the consultant with the necessary information and materials available at the Ministry for fulfillment of tasks. The Consultant will be home based and will only be accommodated at the MOHW as needed.
9.0 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Social Science, Public Sector Administration, or similar discipline.
- Professional Certification in Human Resource Management or Organization Development
- Demonstrated experience in organizational development interventions
- Proof of a minimum of 5 years’ working experience in the appropriate discipline
- MS Office Proficiency in Word, Excel and Power Point
10.0 EVALUATION CRITERIA
|Evaluation Criteria Max. Score Actual Score||Evaluation Criteria Max. Score||Actual score|
|Post graduate degree in Business Administration, Social Science, Public Sector Administration, or similar discipline;||30||
|Professional Certification in Human Resource Management or Organization Development||25|
|Demonstrated experience in organizational development interventions||15|
|Proof of a minimum of 5 years’ working experience in the appropriate discipline||20|
|MS Office Proficiency in Word, Excel and Power Point||10|
Candidate must attain a minimum mark of 70 to be considered